In a recent blog post here I posted about the Azure AD v2.0 Preview Powershell cmdlets that are currently in preview. These update the functionality the current MSOL cmdlets provide whilst also supporting features they don’t (such as managing users with MFA).

The Azure AD v2.0 cmdlets interface with the Azure AD Graph API and this week I tried using the Set-AzureADUserLicense cmdlet to add/remove licenses from users in a test tenant. With no sample documentation for syntax I didn’t kick any goals so I figured I’d just go straight to using the Azure AD Graph API to get the job done direct from Powershell instead.

In this post I’m going to show you how to add/remove Office365 licenses from users using PowerShell and the Azure AD Graph API.

As per my other post linked above if you’ve installed the Azure AD Preview Powershell module you’ll have the Microsoft.IdentityModel.Clients.ActiveDirectory.dll which we can leverage via Powershell to then connect to the Azure AD Graph API. Chances are you’ll have Microsoft.IdentityModel.Clients.ActiveDirectory.dll though if you also have the AzureRM Modules installed or TFS. Just search your Program Files sub-directories.

# the default path to where the Azure AD Preview PS Module puts the Libs
'C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\AzureADPreview\1.1.143.0\Microsoft.IdentityModel.Clients.ActiveDirectory.dll'
# TFS Path
'C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Team Foundation Server\14.0\Microsoft.IdentityModel.Clients.ActiveDirectory.dll'
# Azure RM Cmdlets
'C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\AzureRM.ApiManagement\1.1.2\Microsoft.IdentityModel.Clients.ActiveDirectory.dll'

Below you’ll find what you need to script your connection to Azure AD via the GraphAPI using the dll discussed above. Change $tenantID $username and $password to reflect you tenant and credentials.

Now that we’ve authenticated let’s enumerate our licenses. Bascially we make a RestAPI call to “https://graph.windows.net/{0}/subscribedSkus?api-version=1.6” as below. The particular license I want to add in my tenant is ExchangeStandard_Student. A key difference from the MSOL cmdlets though is adding or removing a license via the Graph API we reference the License skuId rather than skuPartNumber. The last line gets the skuId for my license.

Now to find the users that need to have the license assigned. Below in line 4 I search for users that are account enabled using this URI “https://graph.windows.net/{0}/users?$filter=accountEnabled eq true &api-version=1.6″  You can modify the filter for your criteria.

I then iterate through the users and find the users that aren’t assigned the license identified earlier above. I also exclude the AADConnect account for this tenant.

The GraphAPI expects the body with the info of licenses to be added or removed in a hashtable. So create the hashtable and convert it to JSON which is the format for Azure AD Graph API requires. Then for each of the unlicensed users we call the Azure AD GraphAPI URI “https://graph.windows.net/myorganization/users/$usertolicense`/assignLicense?api-version=1.6” and assign the license . In my environment it processed users at just over 1 user/sec.

A similar approach to remove licenses from users. A subtle difference is you only need to specify the skuId for removal as shown below. Note: you can add and remove licenses in the same call (if say you’re switching users over from one license plan to another).

All together for quick copy and paste. Update it for your tenant and creds. And remark out the Add or Remove depending on what you’re looking to do. If you’re looking to add/remove multiple licenses just add them to the hashtable/array.

Follow Darren on Twitter @darrenjrobinson

 

Category:
Identity and Access Management, Office 365, PowerShell
Tags:
, ,

Join the conversation! 5 Comments

  1. […] catching up it started here introducing using PowerShell to access the Azure AD via the Graph API, licensing users in Azure AD via Powershell and the Graph API, and returning all objects using paging via Powershell and the Graph […]

    Reply
  2. […] In the schema I have included the LicensesToAdd and LicensesToRemove attributes. Check out my Adding/Removing User Office365 Licences using PowerShell and the Azure AD Graph RestAPI post to see how to assign and remove licenses using Powershell. From that you can workout your […]

    Reply
  3. […] A couple of months ago the AzureADPreview module was released. The first cmdlet that I experimented with was Set-AzureADUserLicense. And it didn’t work, there was no working examples and I gave up and used GraphAPI instead. […]

    Reply
  4. Great post. Very detailed. I hit the same problem as you and posted the problem on StackOverflow. Turned out to be a bug and MS fixed it in v2.0.0.7 of AzureADPreview: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/39624501/azure-ad-powershell-edit-manager

    Reply
    • Thx Simon. Yes once Microsoft fixed it I wrote another post on how to use the module. That said I actually prefer using the Graph API.

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: