What is IaaS Application Migration
Application migration is the process of moving an application program or set of applications from one environment to another. This includes migration from an on-premises enterprise server to a cloud provider’s environment or from one cloud environment to another. In this example, Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) application migration.
Application Migration Management Tracker
Having a visual IaaS application migration tracker, helps to clearly identify all dependencies and blockers to manage your end to end migration tracking. In addition to the project plan, this artefact will help to manage daily stand-ups and accurate weekly status reporting.
- Clear visibility of current status
- Assist escalation
- Clear overall status
- Lead time to CAB and preparation times
- Allows time to agree and test key firewall/network configurations
- Assist go/no-go decisions
- Cutover communications
- All dependencies
- Warranty period tracking
- BAU sign-off
- Decommission of old systems if required
When to use and why?
- Daily stand-ups
- Go-no go meetings to take clear next steps and accountability
- Risks and issues preparation and mitigation steps
- During change advisory board (CAB) meeting to provide accurate report to obtain approval to implement
- Traceability to tick and progress BAU activities and preparation of operational support activities
Application Migration Approach
Example of IaaS Application Migration Tracker
Below is an example which may assist your application migration tracking in detail.
- Application list
- Quarterly timelines
- Clear ownerships
- Migration tracking sub tasks
- Warranty tracking sub tasks
- Current status
- Final status
Hope this example helps but it can be customised as per organisational processes and priorities. This tracker can also be used on non-complex applications and complex application migration. Thanks.